Sunday, September 19, 2010

Second and Third

If you had said a month ago that the Trojans would be 3-0 to start the Lane Kiffin era....I would have been pleased. What doesn't please me is the overall reaction of the fans and the media.

Of course I realize that the person who calls a radio station to talk about a college football team is a different breed.....and generally they appear not to know from whence they speak.

The media is another story. They seem to know the game and the players and the coaches but their expectations seem excessive.

OBVIOUSLY THE LAST NINE YEARS UNDER PETE CARROLL SPOILED A LOT OF USC FANS.

There is an old adage that needs to be stated at this point in time.

A WIN IS A WIN IS A WIN...........

UCLA fans are feeling a lot better today than they were yesterday morning and they are experiencing a 1-2 start to the season.

USC has a some incredible weapons and although they won't be going to any bowl games for the next two years, they will have repeated spectacular highlights on all the ESPN wrap up shows.

One of the repeated stars of those highlights will be Robert Woods.....All predictions in football must be followed by the obvious caveat ........as long as he doesn't get injured.

I'm not going to get overly excited about a 3-0 start because I was going to be happy with 8 or 9 wins. What a 3-0 start does is allow me to be thinking that 10 or 11 wins might be possible.

Baseball season is over pretty early this year with the Dodgers just trying to avoid fourth place in their division, so USC is it for me. As far as my other football team, which resides in St. Louis, I would be happy with 4 wins. Sam Bradford seems to enjoy throwing the football and since they have nothing to lose they might as well let him average 45 to 50 passes a game. I would think that would help Steven Jackson.

Anyway, today they play their second game of the season and it's against the Oakland Raiders and it's still not on television. I thought the Raider Nation got priority in Southern California but apparently not. I've already resigned myself to the fact that the Rams will not be on TV once this year. How come the Raiders have a nation and the Rams have zip?

I might belong to a very small fraternity. PEOPLE FROM LA WHO STILL FOLLOW THE RAMS. I wonder how small it really is? Are there 50,000 of us? I'll check out Facebook and see if there's even a presence. My guess is if there is a site that the amount of friends will number in the hundreds.

Oh and by the way.......I will be rooting for the Cincinnati baseball club because they came from nowhere and I think they were 200-1 to win the series. I do think the Giants will win the division and with their pitching they might surprise a lot of people in the playoffs.

As far as my feelings on Donnie Baseball getting the Dodger job I simply have no emotion attachment to the entire situation because of the Divorce. Until that fiasco gets cleaned up....the players will not be happy. A Baseball team is a family experience and right now the parents are causing stress for the kids and the kids are not responding well to the chaos.

When Peter O'Malley talks people should listen, but it's important to remember that HE sold the Dodgers to FOX so his opinion does have less emphasis then it should. The only voice that matters is Vin and he'll never say anything but the right thing so we have no idea what he really thinks. Tommy might tell you the truth if you get a little vino down the tube.

Wait a minute.....I'm talking baseball.......Oh well, I guess I'm a lot like those idiots who call the radio shows.

Rams will upset the Raiders 24-21................as hope springs eternal on the second week of Pro football and the third week of college with USC being 3-0. Did I already mention that the Trojans were 3-0?

UCLA is ?????

Michael Timothy McAlevey












No comments: