Thursday, September 23, 2010

Missing an old friend and I barely knew him

I received a CD in the mail today and it's absolutely amazing how much I've missed listening to Hoyt Axton.

I haven't had a record player for about six years and I only have Hoyt on vinyl. I finally ordered "My Griffin is Gone" from a guy ( Ray Kawal) in Washington, who seems to have everything that Hoyt ever recorded.

Nobody....living or dead....has a voice like Hoyt. And then on top of that he might have been one of the best songwriters who ever lived.

I'm pretty sure I'll let him play in the background of my life for the next few months.

It will be interesting to see how my artwork looks while Hoyt serenades me in 2010.

Between 1971 and 1977 most of what I created was done with Hoyt's voice somewhere near.
The dozen times I was able to see him perform was just gravy. I probably listened to My Griffin is Gone more than any album I've ever owned....and yet I haven't heard it in years and as it plays in the background at this very moment.....I just marvel at my stupidity.

What on God's great earth would have kept me from something that is so damn wonderful?

I have to thank Richard Eyer for introducing Hoyt into my life in 1966.

Hoyt changed levels in 1999 and I'm sure his voice resonates throughout all tangents of non-physical reality. Heaven is a great recording studio with tremendous acoustics.

Hoyt and Elvis probably get together from time to time and croon a few tunes.

Keep in mind that Hoyt's mom, Mae Axton, wrote Heartbreak Hotel which was Mr. Presley's first single for RCA in 1956.

Anyway I'm going to give a copy to a singer in the promenade, Eric Kufts, who needs Hoyt in his life.

There are somethings that I just simply know.

Michael Timothy McAlevey



No comments: