Sunday, September 9, 2007

GRADY BRINGS THE LITTLE STUFF

The knock on Grady Little when he was in Boston focused on an incident involving Perdo Martinez and letting him stay in a game way beyond normal. Since I wasn't really paying attention to Boston during that period of time I actually never investigated whether or not there were repeated questionable moves during the year.

I assume there must have been because he was fired at the end of the season.

I am starting to wonder if Grady Little's pitching decisions.... are his Achilles heal.

First let's state one thing....the Dodgers scoring only two runs in San Francisco with 19 games to play when they have a chance to pick up a game on the leaders...has nothing to do with Grady....it has to do with hitters not being patient or whatever happens to hitters when they don't hit..... there are quite a few small things that lead to bigger problems....and every hitter goes through the checklist while in a slump. I don't know if this can be called a slump....more like..... just not paying attention to the proper details.

But back to Little decisions that create BIG problems....

The Dodgers had a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning and that is supposedly Jonathan Broxton's time and then the ninth is Saito's time.....both of whom seem to do much better with no one on base and both seem to have problems when brought in during an inning with runners on base.

I'M NOT ALBERT EINSTEIN....and I know this stuff.
GRADY LITTLE HAS MULTIPLE COACHES TO DISCUSS THESE MATTERS WITH....

So the end result of all this is.....Broxton gives up a three run homer and the Dodgers lose a series to the last place team in their division....their hated arch rivals....the San Fransisco Giants.

Maybe Grady Little doesn't know about the history of these two teams and how each goes out of their way to spoil the other's party even when their own party is way gone down the highway.

But one thing Grady does know....and that's how to f..k up a pitching staff by altering the normal pattern of behavior......and how to totally frustrate fans of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

It doesn't look good with three weeks left in the season....because that's three more weeks of watching Little decisions that make me goofy....and it doesn't take a lot to make me goofy...and in fact I have some friends that think it doesn't take anything to make me goofy....that I'm already there without any outside influence.

How's this for a goofy idea.....

The more I watch Grady and his expressionless mannerisms, combined with his strange pitching decisions....... the more I think that Bobby Valentine should get THE CALL to come home from Japan....always remembering that he was originally a Dodger and one of Tommy's boys from the Spokane days.

Tommy Lasorda can make this happen, especially if Grady's pitching decisions start frustrating our hefty lefty VP.

I want some fire and I want some consistent decisions....and I especially want things to be done the way they seem to work....not a entire new direction at the end of the season.....when the games really matter.....and each decision becomes a huge moment.

Weird Season for Dodger fans......but then again there is a history of weirdness involved in being a Dodger fan. It's not as weird as being a Cubbie fan but that's another entire dimension of weirdness.

And then I just saw that Arizona scored 4 runs in the 7th against St. Louis and that means the Dodgers will be 5 1/2 out.....

NOT GOOD....unless you live in Sedona.


Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: