Wednesday, June 20, 2007

STILL INSIDE HAWAII


Hawaiian
Hānau kū'oko'a 'ia nā kānaka apau loa, a ua kau like ka hanohano a me nā pono kīvila ma luna o kākou pākahi. Ua ku'u mai ka no'ono'o pono a me ka 'ike pono ma luna o kākou, no laila, e aloha kākou kekahi i kekahi.
Translation
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. (Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)





I've never really wanted to learn another language and didn't do well when I took Spanish and a little Latin....in High School. I did retain a few Latin words from the Catholic experience but I'm not allowed to use them because of leaving their church....and that's enough talk about the Mackerel-snapper that I used to be.

I tried taking French in college, because of a girl I wanted to meet, and only got through one semester.....met her..... and I'm not really sure if anything developed so it must not have been important. So many many things in college were not important except under the heading of....are we having fun now....or what! I wished I had taken the experience seriously but the times dictated BEHAVIOR and I'm just a product of my environment.....and I guess my parents stressed parties instead of study halls.
Study halls didn't appear to be something worthwhile in my life until around the age of 40 and by then it was too late to go back.....so I created my own.

Back to languages........

I've found that the English language has perplexed me to degrees that don't seem to allow other languages a chance to blossom.....and therefore bloom.

I might bee language illiterate which would rank equally with my math illiteracy......

I know for a fact that I am math illiterate and there's nothing about that.....which will change...


and please note that last sentence and my obvious continued work with English.

The reason I bring this up is because I think I would like to learn the Hawaiian language.

Not too many letters....maybe right up my alley.....and since I am knee deep into the Michener epic tale of how the Islands came to bee.... what they are today.....I might as well try a little HOI POI.


IT LOOKS LIKE A LANGUAGE OF FUN AND LAUGHTER and I realize that there are native Hawaiians who don't want any Caucasian man learning their ancient tongue....but dems the breaks......and I'll probably lose interest after I'm finished with Michener, but I've always thought I would live there some day......so maybe I'll just learn enough words that will allow me to walk among the warriors, princesses and kings.......

I don't think terms like Maui Wowie and Da Kind count towards the goal....but they do have a very sweet ring to them....as well as an intense kick.

I have stood on the top of Haleakala
and swam with the beauties in Hunama Bay
I rode a horse on the beach of the North Shore
and watched the lava slip steaming away

I've been to the summit of Mauna Lai
and swam with a giant turtle in Kona
I've partied with locals in Kula
and spent some time alona

I've golfed on a lava rock course on Hilo
and played a set of tennis in Hana
I had the best mushroom soup ever on Maui
and did somethings I didn't wanna

I've taken both of my children to paradise
and I'm sure one of them will return
God only knows where the other one is
as well as the lessons we must learn

I over stayed my welcome
the first time I was there
but that's because of a girl
so in love......all is fair

I wrote a short story about Lahaina
four years before going there
and when I finally saw it for the first time
it was the second time I had been there

I swam in the Seven Scared Pools
and watched the entire Navy strut their stuff
it was a parade in the Honolulu waters and air
and enough was enough

I've had friends move there and return
and some who decided to stay
I think if Island Fever happens
it will happen in a day

It's the ultimate form of sea sickness
and there's nothing you can do
just look out towards the horizon
and all you see is blue

It can be a serious problem
if you are addicted to New York or LA
and not such a problem
if you've lived in Carmel or Monterey

Whatever takes you there
doesn't always bring you back
in either direction

If you've been there you probably think you will go again
If you haven't been there
the only thing to say to you is
when?

I highly suggest picking up the book or the audio tape.....HAWAII..... by James Michener and fully grasp the realities that have shaped that volcanic island paradise. Picking up a few Hawaiian words wouldn't hurt.....after all there's only a few letters to learn.

Michael Timothy McAlevey
























No comments: