Wednesday, June 20, 2007

ONE PUTT HEAVEN


I have written three or four articles about golfing with my 87 year father. The first couple were focused on how he would whip my ass every time....including the day he devoured me by 16 strokes. The last one I wrote was about two months ago and focused on my finally whipping his ass...by two strokes.
Today we started the round with his announcement that he was going to have a balloon inserted into his veins to see if that helped the pain in his legs...and if that didn't work they might have to do a bypass....which is similar to a heart bypass but takes place in the legs.
You would have thought that information was enough to throw me off my game but the exact opposite thing happened.
I turned into JOHNNY PUTTERMAN...the world's greatest putter, and ONE PUTTED EIGHT HOLES....IN A ROW!......Four to end the front nine and four to start the back nine. I got nervous thinking it was like the priest in Caddyshack and kept looking up for the lighting on an extremely cloudless day.
I had a total of 28 putts for the round, which is about 10 to 12 less than I normally have....and ended up shooting a very respectable 79. My dad shot a 83 and was a little pissed and a little proud.
I realized he was proud because the first thing he said to the Marshall was, "My son just had eight one putts...in a row....and whooped my ass." The Marshall, who is about his age calmly said...."I won't play with him anymore." We sort of laughed and walked away and then he hit me with this.....
"You know...if this is my last round of golf then I just want to make sure you know how much I've enjoyed playing with you over the last six months."
"Why would this be your last round of golf."
"If something goes wrong with the balloon deal."
"Dad...I think you need to be looking at it like....if this works I can walk without pain and kick your ass every time."
"You are probably right, but it is a little scary."
I gave him a big hug and thanked him for letting me win and thought how well his medical announcement seemed to work for me.....maybe next time he will announce that he was having a lobotomy and I might get my first hole in one.

Being able to play golf with my 87 year old father....who always beats his age....is truly a pleasure that I cherish.

Being able to one-putt 8 holes in a row is beyond pleasure....it's truly just freaky stuff...and most likely will never happen again.

But it happened once.....and that's what happens ......when you keep teeing it up.

Each and every time something great can happen .....if you just keep teeing it up.

And I'm fairly certain that rules applies to almost every challenge or task one undertakes.

KEEP TEEING IT UP
The picture was taken about 11 years ago....and that's how we dress when we play golf. My older brother is on the right and he doesn't play enough golf....but he's got other redeeming qualities that are too numerous to mention.

It's funny how they still look the same and I now look like my father did then....except of course I'm still a lot taller.


Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: