Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Clubhouse thoughts

Once again, being the obedient and loving son that I am, I ALLOWED my Highlander dad to whip my ass on the golf course. This time it was only by five strokes...and I realize one shouldn't be using the term strokes when it comes to anything, either of us does....but I have an aversion to shots, so strokes it shall be. I'll probably have an aversion to strokes once I have one, but in the meantime I'll just let my dear old dad bitch slap me all over the course.

I thought I had him yesterday on the 9th hole where I picked up three strokes, when he had a little water problem. The thrill lasted about eight minutes and basically disappeared all together when I four putted the 10th hole. I actually pride myself on not three putting more than once in a round and four putting is semi-close to having a real stroke. It's not easy to four putt a green...and looking back on the moment, it's actually hard to figure out how it happened. I think my dad used some mental tool that he learned in a secret Marine division. A trick that he isn’t allowed to use unless...it’s very necessary.
Making me four putt while being down three strokes with nine holes to play, might fall under that very necessary category....when one is 87 years old.

The four putt green started a spiral and I never got close again. One of the tricks he used to distract me this time, was done in the clubhouse, before we teed off. My father has voted Republican since Teddy Roosevelt....which means twenty years before he was born he was a die hard Republican. He asked me how his granddaughter Lily was doing, and I started talking a little about how she doesn't seem to care much about politics....and that the other day I was trying to get her opinion on what she thought about Hillary running for President...and she didn't really say too much, one way or the other. My Reaganomics Republican father then spoke the words that probably caused me to four putt a few hours later.

"I like her...and if Guliani doesn't run...I'll probably vote for her. I actually like the fact that her top advisor would be an ex-President of the United States. That would seem important."

He then proceeded to say a few things about all politicians being full of crap and where's that money from the 50 cent cigarette tax in California a few years back, supported by Rob Riener. Being a smoker he really likes to bring up that tax. He also likes to point out that $5 billion has been raised and only $1 billion has been spent by the schools. He claims the money will be siphoned and used for other things.
Politicians wouldn't do anything like that....would they?

"I like her...and if Guliani doesn't run....I'll probably vote for her."

I just like writing that one more time, because I'm fairly certain it might not be true, but it is probably the only time he's ever mentioned a Democrat in the same sentence with the word vote....except for the times he said..."I'll vote for that Democrat when a monkey flies out of my ass."

"I like her....and if Guliani doesn't run....I'll probably vote for her."

It really does look and sound great and I promise never to beat my father on the golf course....even if I could....if he votes for Hillary Clinton.

How many Republicans will vote for Hillary? There has to be a high percentage of intelligent Republican women who realize that this is an historic moment for the advancement of women in this country. Forget political differences....this is a female who can actually make a life long Republican male say....

"I LIKE HER....AND IF GULIANI DOESN'T RUN...I'LL PROBABLY VOTE FOR HER."

I have to keep in mind that he might have said that just to distract me on the golf course. He knows I think about politics and he knows I support the Democratic and Green Parties....so it could have been another trick that he learned in the Marine Corps.

No matter what tricks he uses....they freakin work and once again I drive away from the golf course...just shaking my head....but this time as I leave, these magic words are running through my brain.

"I like her....and if Guliani doesn't run....I'll probably vote for her."

I've said it before and I'll say it again....the 2008 Election will be the most interesting election in the history of this young country.

Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: