Saturday, October 4, 2014

First month I've ever missed

When one looks back through the archives of Mind Jazz , and eventually that will be all that is left, it will be interesting to note that September of 2014 has ZERO posts.

I think my excuse is fairly adequate for the non-posting month.

One thing I just noticed is the amount of increased views on my stat sheet.  Overall increase is rather interesting.....and I'm not sure what that's attributed to.  It's almost like more people are looking when I'm not posting on a regular basis.  Which means if I never post again, within two years I should have about 1 million readers.

Oh, to live and operate within the land of fantasy....

I do envision having quite a few more readers but a million would seem rather impossible..... but once again I marvel at the mysteries within which the Universe plays with me.

I know the Universe plays with everyone but I feel like I experience an abnormal amount of interaction that seems to have jovial combined with heartwrenching elements.

But that's just me you see.......

"The Other God Particles" is the main reason for missing September and although it only ran 11 days....it totally consumed 100% of my time and energy.  It started on the 6th and ended on the 16th......of course it took six months (and 35 years) to complete the project.

The next excuse is explained in the photo below.



This event happened on September 20th and was shortly followed by that stoic couple becoming themselves again....I think it took about two hours to answer the water call.




Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Stoker or Mr. and Mrs. Rachel Roberts or Mr. and Mrs. RayPat StokerRoberts or Mr. and Mrs. Cy's Owner's or Mr. and Mrs. LetTheGoodTimesRoll couple of the year.

It was a very special day and evening and I'm was quite proud to be part of it.

NOW let's get back to ME. 

I was going to do a complete summary of the show but since the 11 day run turned out to be "Previews" for the next show and for the show after the next show....I've decided to leave out the gory details.  And as my friend Norton Wisdom said two weeks before the show....."Art show openings are a train wreck."   I don't think my show was a train wreck but there sure were some derailings that took place in the time leading up to....during...and immediately after the actual event.  And the main culprit didn't turn out to be yours truly but instead that title rested on the shoulders of the gallery owner.

Everyone says the same thing about him....."He's a really nice guy."

It actually might be true but his business and marketing sense is pretty much non-existent....except of course when it comes to his own artwork.

And one consistently hears this quote about him...."well, he is an artist, after all."

Very few artist have ever been able to run a successful art gallery so that's one explanation regarding his shortcomings.

I realize that it's not entirely his fault, but operating a business within a dead paradigm is just not a good idea if one wants to stay in this particular type of business.

The INTERNET has totally changed the dynamic on how living artist can present their work.
Of course it's nice to have a good location with walls to show your work but if the gallery in question doesn't have an established collector base (and it need not be a large base) then what actual good benefits an artist being in said gallery?

By the way...a collector base is a certain number of people that trust and rely on the gallery owner to present them with artwork, and artists, that might prove to be worth collecting.   The worth part becomes illusionairy because whereas the work might prove socially important, that doesn't necessarily translate to increased financial value.....and generally collectors are quite interested in that aspect of collecting........DUH!

I was totally responsible for 99% of the 300 people who attended my opening.  Had I not done the marketing work I would have been standing in a gallery with the owner and his single paid employee listening to him say for the 15th time......"see I told you no one would buy anything."

He claimed to have a 3000 e-mail invite list....and yet there weren't 10 people who came because of his invitations.

I said I wasn't going to summarize the entire ordeal but the fact of the matter is....the owner of the gallery tried quite hard to make sure I didn't have a successful show.

Little did he realize that I was in "Previews" and just being able to present the show for the first time was all I really wanted to do. 

The fact that I did sell some work just made the experience that much sweeter....but truthfully the only reason sales are important is because it allows one to buy more supplies.

For the last two weeks I have been cleaning up my "Studio" so that I can get busy for the next presentation.  Since January I have been inside a massive mini cylinder of chaos trying to create the vision that I had banging around inside my little brain.

The Order that resulted from the Chaos came out looking pretty damn good.......and I can say that because I heard it over and over and over and over....and one doesn't tire of hearing nice things about something that has dominated every waking moment for the last 9 months.











The last photo shows the picture windows covered in 1/2 foam core......of course next time I will have something painted on the foam core.....like maybe a knock off Bansky piece. My friend Patrick had to put up and take down the foam core three times during the night so that I could present my SHOW in its best LIGHT.   Ambient light reduces the effect of protons colliding at almost the speed of light............and I need to have A GLOWING LIGHT within a dark room........if you get my drift.

When a room full of people, in an Art Gallery,  start clapping and cheering you know you've done something right.

Now I've just got to get back to work and make sure the next show is even more RIGHT.  And for a guy who is always leaning to the LEFT.....that's not really easy to do.

I feel confident that by the time I hit Broadway I will have THE SHOW honed to a tee.

HONED TO A TEE........never used that expression before.....is it actually honed to a T?

I'm consistently confused about certain things in the Universe.....but once again I say

THAT'S JUST ME YOU SEE.


Michael Timothy McAlevey






No comments: