Thursday, November 21, 2013

He's back and it was a Grandparent dealio

I actually never looked into the reason that Doonesbury was on vacation for 3 1/2 months but his new "spots" indicate that he was busy being a new Grandpa....and as far as excuses go, that's one of the better ones.

Grand Parenting appears to be a special gift that either can be graciously accepted and enjoyed or denied and rejected.  We all know Grandmothers who reject the concept for quite awhile when it first materializes.

Sometimes it comes much too early and sometimes very unexpectedly but when it comes to those who have organized their family structure in such a manner that allows time and space for being able to help out around the age of 60.....then it becomes a joyful experience.

My guess is that it's a 50/50 chance that it's a joyful experience.  

Baby Boomer Grand Parents will perhaps move that 50/50 to 60/40 just because of the numbers.

When I think of Grandparents I think of Norman Rockwell interpretations because those visual images simply make more sense than reality......

Or at least my reality.......and for sure the reality of anyone who never had children.

I suppose their are families that slide through life and simply experience the normal cycle of birth, youth, middle age, old age and death without any uncalled for abnormalities which interrupt that cherished cycle.....I suppose.

I guess I might even know a few of those families.

We have 300 million people in the US and if 10 million families live a two generation life cycle without tragedy I'd be surprised.  People dying at an older age is not a tragedy....just part of the cycle.

As I write this piece I realize that I'm just not the person to explain what it's like to live a tragedy free life cycle even though I have those Rockwell images deeply embedded in my Psyche.

What one wants doesn't grant what one has and I have no excuse for why I'm even bringing up tragedy except for the fact that 3 1/2 months of Doonesbury reruns has left me slightly depressed.

His social commentary in the morning newspaper is how I start my day......after a short walk to the store to purchase the product that allows me to hold the item which in turn allows me to see the "strip.".......it's called a NEWSPAPER for those of you who have gone completely electronic.

It's actually made of paper and is filled with fresh ink.......two things I value quite highly.

I also value Grand Parenting when it's done correctly.

Mr. Doonesbury is now a GP and I'm sure he's loving every minute of it. 




No comments: