Sunday, March 11, 2012

Two more Michael's and The Big Rock deal

Michael Heizer does extremely large scale sculptures and Michael Govan is the Director of LACMA.

The object of their attention is a 340 ton piece of solid granite...better known as "The Rock" which might create some copyright issues with the actor, Dwayne Johnson, also known as "The Rock."

The Rock (the one without a brain) (ok, so which one am I talking about.....funnnnny) was moved, very carefully and very slowly, from it's natural home in a Riverside quarry to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to be the center piece of Mr. Heizer's sculpture called " Levitated Mass."

Total cost of the project will be $10 million dollars. No public funding involved.

The Rock was purchased for $70,000 from the Stone Valley Quarry.

Michael Heizer's price for the piece of artwork.......unknown.

He doesn't grant interviews and has remained a notorious recluse during his adulthood. He didn't even attend The Rock's arrival at it's destination and nobody has any idea where he is.

He might actually be inside The Rock doing his version of a David Blaine bit.

The Transporter of The Rock was built by an engineer named Mark Voss. It will take one month to disassemble the machine and I bet it cost a lot more than The Rock.

I suppose once the project has been finished that the visual experience will prove to be worthwhile, but I can't say that's it's on my must do summer list. I will walk to the area because I'll be visiting the Museum, and I will stop and probably say something profound like....."man that's a pretty big rock....but I've seen bigger."

We've all seen bigger but granted we haven't seen one at a museum.

It's obviously one of the oldest pieces of art every displayed.

The question is........do we care? I suppose lifetime city dwellers will marvel at size of The Rock. It's not an extra charge to see the sculpture but the admission fee at the Museum just went up $25. (I think I'm kidding)


The real story is Michael Heizer and how he has managed to avoid the media.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=slv8-yie8&va=michael+heizer

I'm thinking that Michael Govan should be looking for A Lake to put next to The Rock.

Now that's just plain.....
silly.

I'm also thinking of calling Mr. Govan and telling him I found A QUARK and maybe it could be installed next to The Rock.....
.......sort of a Theory of Relativity vs Quantum Mechanics duel in the sun.

I don't need much space for My Quark but I would like to sell it for $100 million.

Normally I'd ask if anyone has Michael Govan's cell phone number but I actually know someone who does, so I've got that going for me.

I can't believe that Rolling Rock didn't sponsor the entire project.

Oh well....often times the obvious just becomes a nice after thought.

Like having a big rock at the museum.....hummm why didn't we think of that before?

I actually think I know why.....but then again so do you!

Michael Timothy McAlevey








No comments: