Saturday, March 17, 2012

A horse tale

HBO canceled the show 'Luck" after a third horse died while shooting the series. The horse actually flipped over backwards while being walked and was not involved in a racing scene.

I'm thinking there are more reasons for the axe than being stated. The ratings were poor for HBO standards but not dismal. 2 million people watched the Sarah Palin movie, Game Change, last week and Luck averages about 650,000.

I'm not sure how many total HBO subscribers there are, but I would guess around 20 million.
(I just looked it up and there are 27 million) How do they know when someone records the show and watches it later? How do they keep track of shows that are repeated multiple times during a week.

I keep thinking back to the movie Braveheart and it looked like 200 horses got killed or hurt in one scene. I realize it was a movie but then again are feature films subject to less regulations than a TV show?

A horse dying on a racetrack is not really unusual and it happens everyday across the country.

My personal opinion about the show was dialogue and how it was delivered. David Milch obviously has a style which was first noticed in Deadwood. It's a style where the actors use an Old English delivery and many times I had to replay a scene to know what was said.

I realize that I'm an idiot but the last time I heard.....I wasn't alone in that category.

Eric Roth seems to be jinxed when it comes to the word LUCK...or LUCKY. But he is a giant in the industry so do not fret about his future. He's probably working on three or four projects at this very moment.

I thought the show depicted a seedy side of horse racing and gambling...which isn't hard to do. But generally the horse racing industry is just a bunch of hard working men and women trying to control 1500 lb animals so that they can show off their natural ability to.......run.

This cancellation is much more involved than the accidental death of a horse.

Michael Timothy McAlevey




No comments: