Saturday, November 27, 2010

Big musical statement

Burlesque is the newest addition to the musical movie genre
and I'm here to tell you that it is
GREAT entertainment.

If you like musicals it is absolutely a must see.

Christina Aguilera could get nominated for her part. Whether the nomination comes from The Golden Globes, SAG or The Academy doesn't really matter.
She stuck the role and I walked out of the theater with the immediate thought of going back in and watching it again.

When a member of the studio audience applauds after a song, in the middle of the film, you realize that this is a special performance. (No it wasn't me)

Every number is well performed and after the dust settles on the closed stage door Cher might have had the best song.

But make no mistake the star of this movie is Ms. Aguilera.

Steve Antin, the director, also deserves special kudos. The sets and the lighting were perfect for the venue and he obviously went out of his way to enhance the star qualities of his performers.

Everybody I know....knows that I love musicals and Burlesque just moved into my top five musicals of all time.

I'll have to see it again because there's always the chance that I was simply starving for a new musical and that yearning might have given me a false positive on the emotional vortex within my mental tune chambers.

Maybe I'll even do it today. After all, USC doesn't play until 5.

Go Trojans

Michael Timothy McAlevey


No comments: