Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Movies and me

The first time I went on a date my mom took me and the new chick in my life to a double feature. I think the girl's name was Glenna but I'm not really sure because I had a horse and babes were all over me.

Well, they actually were all over my horse but they had to go through me to get a ride.

I was 11 years old and the double feature was LOVE ME TENDER and APRIL LOVE.

It was early 1957 because LOVE ME TENDER had been released in November of 1956 but where we lived didn't exactly have a multi-screen complex, so when APRIL LOVE was released in 1957 the owner of the only theater in Sylmar brought Elvis and Pat into my dating life.

Keep in mind that all movie experiences in those days included two movies, a cartoon and possibly a news-reel.

I realize I'm making Sylmar sound a lot like Bozeman, Montana but in 1957 Sylmar was like Bozeman, Montana....but probably not as big. The roads were dirt and horses were everywhere....along with sheep, goats, chickens and a very large enrollment in the local 4-H club.

But on that special afternoon in 1957 there was lot of love in the air and on the screen and in my developing frontal cortex.

I think it might have been the first dark place I ever took a hot young babe. I don't remember getting slapped and I don't remember getting a kiss goodnight but I do remember hearing something about "I'll be over tomorrow for a ride."

I'm not sure my 11 year old brain thought of the different aspects regarding that comment but I might have gotten a little wood....but I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have to confess it but then again the amount of guilt from Sister Mary Margaret might have forced me into the little tiny confessional room.

By the way Elvis trumped Pat Boone rather easily but both movies were memorable because it turns out.......I like movies.

The truth of the matter is.....I love movies.

I can usually find something worthwhile in every single film I watch. Sometimes it might just be the music over the closing credits but anything on the big screen is like a great day on the golf course....and any day on the golf course is a great day.

I look back at 2009 and realize that there were some very good days at the movies.

Each type of film leaves a different impression so therefore it's not really fair to say The Hurt Locker was a better film than Avatar. I do know that I was mentally drained after watching The Hurt Locker and visually much more pleased after watching Avatar.

I was wonderfully surprised after viewing The Fantastic Mr. Fox and quite impressed with the reality aspects of The Blind Side.

District 9 totally impressed me with it's uniqueness and UP IN THE AIR had great repeated dialogue scenes.

It's Complicated probably made me laugh more than any other comedy other than WHATEVER WORKS by Woody Allen (that apparently no one saw or even heard about)

I've yet to see Crazy Heart or Nine and from what I've heard they both should be wonderful.

All in all I think it's been a very good year for film but then again I thought 1957 was a very good year for film......and now that I think about it.......so has every year since 1931.

So.....I've got a movie problem.....all I have to say to that is...........

WHERE'S THE FREAKING POPCORN?

Michael Timothy McAlevey




No comments: