Friday, November 27, 2009

Still THE TROJANS

I was six years old in 1952. My dad took me and my older brother, who was 10, to the Los Angeles Coliseum to see the UCLA Bruins play the other Los Angeles University known as USC.

IT WAS MY FIRST COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME

The Bruins had won in 1950, 1951 and then ended up winning in 1953, 1954 and 1955.

IN 1952 both UCLA and USC were undefeated.

IN 1952 I BECAME A LIFELONG TROJAN FOOTBALL FAN.

It probably was caused by a contrarious attitude which developed between my bother, my father and myself, which by the way has continued, regarding political matters, to this very day.

For some reason I think it was raining on that Saturday afternoon and I remember the QB for USC was Rudy Bukich. The Coliseum was filled to the brim.

I've re-created a wonderful image in my mind of USC coming from behind in the driving rain to win 14-12 on the last play of the game.

I actually have no idea if it was raining or if they did win on the last play of the game but I do know they won the game 14-12. I do remember yelling and being excited and being told to shut up by people sitting around me....including my dad and my brother.

I probably didn't have a lot to gloat about at the age of six but I'm pretty sure I got my digs in on the way home. I've always had a tendency to use the smart-aleck approach when it comes to stating my opinion. Most likely my brother beat the crap out of me for the next few days until I completely shut up.

Since 1952 I have followed USC football to a fault. I prefer to watch the games alone with no interference, which is really silly.

A USC/UCLA football game holds a special place in the minds and hearts of fans from both sides of the aisle.

This year neither team seems to have the upper hand and therefore anything is possible. Neither team is playing for a BCS spot and neither team is in the running for the PAC-10 Championship.

IT HAS BEEN A STRANGE YEAR FOR USC.....but not totally unexpected.

A college football team does not lose three linebackers in the NFL draft and replace them without a pause in performance.

A COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM DOES NOT START A TRUE FRESHMAN AT QB AND EXPECT EVERYTHING WILL TURN OUT ROSEY.

A COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM CANNOT LOSE THE AMOUNT OF COACHES THAT USC HAS LOST IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS AND EXPECT TO HAVE PERFECT COORDINATION.

But one thing to keep in mind when they line up Saturday to play the Bruins.

THEY ARE STILL
THE
TROJANS

and Pete Carroll is still the most eloquent coach in college football.

FIGHT ON!

Michael Timothy McAlevey










No comments: