Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Matt Stairs?

Over the years the Dodgers enemies have had historical names.

Names that you will always remember

Juan Marichal
Joe Morgan
Ozzie Smith
Reggie Jackson

and now you can add the name

MATT STAIRS

Matt Stairs? It doesn't even make sense...in fact I'm not sure it's actually a real story.

IF the Dodgers win the next three games then Matt Stairs will be a small footnote in the folklore of Dodger history....and being a true Dodger fan, I have to believe that winning three games in a row is exactly what will happen.

Of course I'm also a baseball realist and it appears that we might have to live with the Matt Stairs name for the rest of our lives.

MATT STAIRS?

Does he have children named Steep, Up and Down?

Does he know anybody on the team considering that he just joined the Phillies on August 30th?

Three guys at the end of the dugout turned to each other when he hit the home run and said
"Who is that guy?"

His wife, when she was watching the game, said"I thought he was still playing in Toronto."

His agent forgot that he had been signed by the Phillies and had him scheduled for a Super Market opening on Monday afternoon....he was pissed when he didn't show up.

MATT STAIRS?

MATT STAIRS JUST BECAME THE KIRK GIBSON OF PHILADELPHIA

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Something is wrong with this picture...next thing you are going to tell me is that on the day Matt Stairs broke the Dodger players and fans hearts, the stock market had its single largest gain day in history.

936 POINTS!

Yeah sure....MATT STAIRS and 936 POINTS!

By the way....that is the first home run given up by Jonathan Broxton since 2006.

Baseball is a great game and in my mind wonderful ballplayers names float around from time to time...images are easy to formulate when I think of....

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig ( except of course he looks more like Gary Cooper)
Mickey Mantle
Willie Mays
Ty Cobb( and of course he looks like Tommy Lee Jones)
Pete Rose
Sandy Koufax
Cal Ripkin
Bob Gibson
Don Drysdale
Kurt Gibson (because of one moment in time)
Ted Williams
Sean McAlevey ( probably my favorite player, even though he had a short career)

and now the name Matt Stairs somehow has squirmed into the historical crevices of my baseball memories...and I don't think I can eliminate it...

UNLESS of course
....the Dodgers win the next three games.

BUT THAT SEEMS HIGHLY UNLIKELY AND IT APPEARS THAT
I will have to live with it until the very last out of the very last inning
of
my
life.

Wow

Matt Stairs?

Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: