Monday, November 5, 2007

NICE SURPRISE

I went to see the Sean Penn's new movie, "Into the Wild" but I missed the starting time so the only movie playing was "DAN IN REAL LIFE."
I personally don't watch OFFICE so therefore I'm not a Stevel Carell fan but I was there and a movie is a movie is a movie.

I was extremely pleased that I accidentally stumbled on this small gem of a film.

When a movie has a love theme combined with a father and daughter theme....I'm easily sucked into the program. Add some hearts broken by life lost, and throw in some very well written exchanges that are poignant and funny....and the result is a wonderful experience.

When I cry and laugh in the same movie then I have truly gotten my monies worth....and this film enticed both emotions on a few different occasions.

If you like to feel good when you walk out of a film.....run to this movie.

The first response I had when the film was over was...."the writing was precise and fresh."

I had to suspend my reality check on the family structure because it was just too darn perfect.....but I suppose that jealousy could be another emotion. It really pointed out how unsuccessful I've been in my role as a father.....even though I've made a valiant effort. Those of us who are parents, but seem to have overlooked certain responsibilities, view a film where everything works in spaces...and it makes us a bit queasy.

I pretty sure it's too late to correct my lack of responsibility and my ineptitude at securing a financial and fiscal future for my daughter...but of course I'll keep trying. Being an artist creates certain problems in the responsibility genre...but it does make me want to write something that might seem important in the long run.

My scripts I have written do not contain enough humor.

I need to sit down and work on a project that reflects more of my social interaction behavior.

Being funny in real life is much easier than being funny on paper....and I have no idea why that's true.

This appears to be my serious side.

And I know that some of you who read my "articles" would say..."that's not necessarily true."

I realize I can be sarcastic when writing but being funny is another target and I shall work on that in the very near future.

I have a friend named Jack Neworth who writes for the Santa Monica Daily Press with a weekly column on Friday (Laughing Matters) and who has written numerous scripts. I have grown accustomed to his humorous style and I think he does it quite well....even though his sarcasm is evident....it doesn't dominate and therefore his style seems easy and comfortable. It would seem that he could write a script along the same lines as DAN IN REAL LIFE and that's a great compliment.

Check it out on Fridays.

And then go check out the movie.

Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: