Wednesday, October 24, 2007

World Serious Fires but not in Beantown and Mile High



The World Series starts today and all sportswriters have turned into PHYSIC sportswriters. Of course those that are wrong about the outcome will just move on to another topic and those who are right will gloat until Spring training.


One school says the layoff will hurt the Rockies.....the other school says no team has ever had the kind of streak that the Rockies have had to end their season.


Baseball is a game of statistics and streaks and 22 out of 23 might be enough of a streak...


I just like to see a 7th game of the World Series......which I believe is the most exciting event in sports.


But as I get ready to watch the game I find myself being slightly diverted by the WITCH, by the CANYON, by the SLIDE, by BUCKWEED, by the RANCH, by the ROSA, by the POOMACHA, by the RICE, by the HARRIS, by the MARTIN RANCH, by the GRASS VALLEY, by the MAGIC, by the AMMO and WILCOX, by the SANTIAGO and by THE RANCH.


IF I OVERLOOKED ANY OF THE FIRES BURNING IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THEN I APOLOGIZE. I really don't want to piss off any arsonist who might be upset that HIS fire wasn't mentioned in my blog.
I truly believe that 99% of all arsonist are male.....just my personal belief system.
I read about EMERGENCY AND DISASTER names given to tragedies. If the President calls it a state of emergency than only certain types of funds are available.....but if he calls it a disaster then federal funds get released and TONS more help enters the picture.
I would say that 750,000 to 1 million evacuations would be caused by a freakin DISASTER.
Moments like this bring out the best and the worst in people. Which type of story do you to hear about?....THE ASSHOLE who owns a motel in San Bernadino, who normally charges 45 for a room, now charging 90.....OR the people who keep sending supplies and money to all the places where people are stranded....and the friends and families who are opening their homes.
And of course the tremedous job that fireman do in the middle of Hell on Earth. They lose homes but they save 95 percent....( except once in awhile certain smaller communities tucked in the trees...get completely destroyed)
I hope the winds change tonight...and I hope that it rains tomorrow.
But then again I hope Colorado can beat Boston....so I'm obviously wishing from a underdog role.
So many states have had to deal with fires this year that our current situation (in Southern CAl) probably just seems like regular behavior on the part of Mother Nature.
Idaho, Georgia and Florida probably think our fires are small potatoes after what they went through....but the difference is totally in the human displacement. This displacement is larger than Katrina.
And at least we have names for all the sad moments in people's lives.....but the fire named the WITCH really makes me freaked out.....especially this close to Halloween.
Michael Timothy McAlevey


No comments: