Monday, October 1, 2007

Tripped but did not fall

I'm not really sure why College Football suddenly appeals to me......

OK....I'm absolutely sure...I was just kidding.

This last weekend was one for the record books and by the time my team took a kneel down I was truly exhausted.

When the team you root for is NUMBER ONE in the nation and is playing the last game on a Saturday when seven of the top 13 teams have already LOST...and when that team only has a three point lead when favored by three touchdowns.....and the other team is actually attempting an onside kick with one minute to play.....with the chance to pull the biggest upset of the day, on UPSET DAY.......

when all this is happening......there is a moment of doubt that settles in and quietly says....
OH NO....it's actually going to happen.....my team is going to be part of UPSET SATURDAY...
and then the onside kick is grabbed by one of the good guys and a huge sigh of relief takes place and all is calm and all is happy......

I DOUBT WHETHER ANY SATURDAY IN MODERN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY HAS EVER HAD THREE OF THE TOP FIVE TEAMS DEFEATED AND FOUR OF THE TOP SEVEN.

AND IT WAS VERY CLOSE TO FOUR OUT OF FIVE AND FIVE OUT OF SEVEN BUT ALAS

USC SIMPLY TRIPPED BUT DID NOT FALL....

And for the first time in my lifetime....USC and CALIFORNIA are in the top three teams.

The Associated Press dropped the Trojans down to number two but the the two polls that count...Coaches Poll and Harris Poll...still rank them first.

It's an unwritten rule that if you start out first in the polls...and continue to win...then it's just common courtesy to keep the number one spot.....but obviously The Associated Press, which is made up of sports writers, rejects manners and rejects common courtesy.

And they (AP) wonder why their poll is not included in the BCS evaluation????

Sportswriters in America have risen to a new height of irrelevance..........and personally I don't really care....
because since Jim Murray passed away I don't think I've read a sportswriter on a regular basis.....maybe Rick Reilly because of his Sports Illustrated back page.....and maybe T.J.Simers from time to time because sarcasm has a place in my life....and I need to learn how to be a bit more negative in my writing....and T.J.'s the king of negative bling....but I don't read him on a regular basis.

I think I read Jim Murray the same way I read Doonesbury.......

Which by the way Doonesbury has continued to be revelant and socially responsible in it's sarcastic shape and form....and again I love sarcasm and I plan on incorporating more of it in my "articles."

let's see...who should I make fun of first???????

I'll think about it.......but the Associated Press College Football Poll might be a good place to start......

But then again there are certain issues in the world where people are tripping and falling quite hard....so it will probably be irrresponsible if I spend too much time in the world of sports....but right now College Football is supplying a much needed big supply of mental ALEVE....so I'll cover it on a regular basis.....even if my team does get upset.

The CAL/USC game looms large....but it's not for awhile so let's just take a deep breathe and appreciate a weekend where we
tripped
but
did
not
fall

Michael Timothy McAlevey



No comments: