Saturday, August 11, 2007

Morally Bankrupt

Having been raised a Catholic and having attended Catholic Schools from grades 1 to 12....I have been amazed and saddened by the molestation cases that have surfaced over the last 10 years. Even though I am no longer a practicing member of that organization I still felt a twinge of regret every time I would read about a new round of law suits.

But every time I would read about a new round of legal proceedings there would always follow a story regarding possible settlements in each situation.

Knowing that the Catholic Church is one of the wealthiest organisations in the world...I, at the very least, saw some sensitivity in regards to the individuals involved. That acknowledging of sensitivity was strictly due to financial numbers that would help to offset the traumatic experiences of each and every victim during their youth.

Money doesn't solve trauma but acknowledging errors in behavior is represented in our society by monetary remunerations.

I felt a slight touch of pride knowing that the shapers of my spiritual youth were at least doing something to make up for extremely negative behavior....and behavior that could be regarded as evil if one wants to go in that direction.....and although I wasn't planning on returning to the Church, I felt ok that they were doing something.

I guess I missed a part of the story.

Last February The Catholic Diocese of San Diego filed for bankruptcy one day before the first court case, in that area, was set to begin.

140 people had filed lawsuits for sexual abuse by priests in that diocese.

BANKRUPTCY?

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?

and now I officially say that I am completely embarrassed to have been raised a Catholic.

BANKRUPTCY?

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?

It turns out that the bankruptcy judge is saying that the diocese is not disclosing all of its assets and is not reporting the fair market value of the property they own.

"The diocese," says the judge, "has been lax, ineffective or indifferent in its oversight of the parishes."

When this bankruptcy gets rejected and the settlement is announced for the San Diego Diocese...I predict the numbers will set a record. Of course that's not hard because each new settlement in each area of this country is considerably larger than the previous settlement.

I feel bad for the people who settled 10 years ago for thousands of dollars and have to sit back and watch new settlements for millions of dollars.

There should be a review of settlements made in the beginning and bring them up to financial standards that are currently in place.

BANKRUPTCY?

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?

GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK!

Imagine if the Church just sold 5% of their antiquities through a Sotheby's Auction. There's probably one or two items that could pay off all the victims in San Diego.

BANKRUPTCY?

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?

I agree that they are bankrupt....but it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with
morality.

I'm truly embarrassed.

Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: