Monday, June 18, 2007

Hawaii

A friend of mine took his family to Hawaii about two weeks ago....for about two weeks.....and returned three days ago. The day he left for Hawaii I was in the New Wonderful Santa Monica Public Library. I was looking for a new audio disc, or audio tape, and on the first shelf that I looked towards....there sat a large double case holding the book called....Hawaii by James Michener.
I've wanted to read this book for a long time but listening to it.... is much much better....especially if a drive is involved and because of business interest I will be driving to the desert almost every other week....for awhile.....so Hawaii turns out to bee......

A LARGE PIECE OF WORK

There are 47 Disc and I am currently on 23...the time period is 1870 and the formation of the Leper Colony on Molokai is the current focus.....and all I have to say is that this took place 137 years ago.....on Hawaii.

And that might be amazing until you read this one...

In 1831 The Wheel had not reached Hawaii.

The thing about Michener is that he regarded himself as a fictional historian with human character development being the only thing fictionalized....and many many times the names are taken from historic records so the story becomes realistic.

Back to the Leper Colony....in 1870 600 Lepers lived on Molokai with no houses, no doctors, no missionaries and no regard for their suffering...on any level. I realize that because they didn't know how it spread they just moved them away to an off island....and not even on the nice side of the off island...but instead on the cold damp side.

I just arrived home and was left with a visual that makes me worry about human nature and then I think back to the Jungles of South America and the mountains of China and a bunch of Lepers being sent to a lush Pacific Island might not bee quite so bad......Those South American Indians around 1100 were really really whacked. Those Mongol type sons of bitches around 1200 were really really really whacked.

The problem in Hawaii in 1870 was simply that the DNA for Lepers had not been isolated.....and the cure had not been developed....but I'm fairly certain as the story develops the other true part of human nature...OUR ABILITY TO FIGURE IT OUT....will rise up and make me proud once more to bee human.

I know that Michener will not disappoint and the rest of the story will bee as good as going there........well.........that's really not true....but books are a reason to like relaxation.

Reading relaxed is one of the greatest things that a human being can do......and you might call it relaxed reading but they are two different things....dude.....or dudette.

WAY DIFFERENT

and I think you know what I mean.

MICHAEL TIMOTHY MC ALEVEY

No comments: