Thursday, April 26, 2007

So hard to find a good laugh

I have admit that it's been harder and harder locating a good laugh. I've looked around obvious corners and searched through reliable archives but every time I get close something pops up and thwarts the giggle and prevents the laugh from taking shape.

I'm not going to point out those "things" that pop up because YOU know where to find them....and most likely they find you so don't fret the omission from today's column....but instead celebrate with me on finding a "gem of laughter" from the most unusual place.

THE SPORTS SECTION OF THE LA TIMES.

SPECIFICALLY THE SECOND PAGE OF THE SPORTS SECTION.

WHICH IS USUALLY DEVOTED TO T.J. SIMERS, WHOSE COLUMN CAN GENERATE A SMIRK OR TWO....BUT SARCASM AND IRONY DON'T GENERALLY CREATE A BELLY LAUGH....UNLESS OF COURSE SARCASM AND IRONY ARE YOUR MAJOR CUPS OF TEA.....I ENJOY SARCASM BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE ME LAUGH....AND ALTHOUGH I NOTE AND ENJOY T.J. SIMER'S ABILITIES TO MAKE FUN.....I ALSO RECOGNISE HIS NEED TO STATE THE NEGATIVE.....WHICH HE CALLS SARCASM, BUT A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME IS STILL.....BLAH.....BLAH....BLAH

ANYWAY BACK TO THE LAUGH

This morning I turn the page of the sports section and the headline reads......

Old Mike, new Christine

I don't want to deprive you of the same laughter potential moment so I'll simply
stop right here. Go get the paper.....find the sports section....turn to page two and remember
all the things in the world that are preventing you from being able to laugh.

The fact that I started laughing when I read the column might be an indication of many, many things.....and personally I don't give a flying f..k about those many, many things.

I would simply like to thank Mike Penner for writing such an interesting farewell.......and although the column will return.....nothing will be the same....and I mean nothing. Maybe in a few days I address the "meat" of the article but for now.......I'll just say.....thank you Mike for a very good laugh.

I needed it.

P.S. if you don't have access to Thursday's LA TIMES (4/26/07) then you either don't have a computer, you don't live in Los Angeles, you don't know what a newspaper is, you don't have the slightest idea how you even got on this blog, you don't acknowledge the sports section of any paper and last but surely not least, you don't read....anything....ever.....except cereal box names and toothpaste brands.

HAPPINESS MIGHT BE BASED ON HOW MUCH TRUTH....ONE CAN IGNORE
Neo-illumination

MICHAEL TIMOTHY MC ALEVEY

No comments: