Thursday, March 29, 2007

Where's Frank when you need him?

Technorati Profile
(I SUGGEST YOU READ COMPARISONS FROM YESTERDAY BEFORE READING THIS)
After I finished yesterday's blog I turned on the tube to check out the stock market and the TCM channel was on and a movie was just starting. I rather enjoy synergies of the sort that after writing a political blog I accidentally stumble across "MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON."

I can't remember the last time I saw the film but I'm sure that it's been ten or 15 years....at least.

While watching the film I was truly captivated by the face of Jimmy Stewart and was trying to figure out what came first....MR. SMITH or IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE....and then a few of the cast members became visible and I realized that Frank Capra had an ensemble. Perhaps not as deep as Woody Allen, John Casseventes or Christoper Guest but definitely an ensemble. As I noted the ensemble I realized that IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE had to come later.


I've never wanted to look like anybody else but if given the choice I think I'd pick Jimmy Stewart.....something about his look and the way he uses his eyes......amazing. We really miss stars like him and I can't think of any modern day versions.


Of course as I got further into the movie I realized that it wasn't Jimmy Stewart that we are missing....it's the man who gave him the tools to operate. What we miss more than anything in cinema is the modern day version of FRANK CAPRA.


I'm stumped trying to determine who could be in the same league.....even in the minor league version.....and I come up with.....NADA.


How is it possible that someone in 1939 could create a political satirical humanistic informational expose on the workings of Washington and 68 years later nobody has come close to repeating the effort.


THE IDEA OF CREATING A MOVIE THAT NOT ONLY MAKES ONE FEEL GOOD....BUT TEACHES ABOUT POLITICAL MANEUVERS.....MIGHT BE IMPOSSIBLE IN TODAY'S ATMOSPHERE.


BUT TRULY MIGHT BE NEEDED MORE THAN ANY TIME IN OUR HISTORY.


IS IT TOO LATE TO MAKE PEOPLE FEEL OPTIMISTIC ABOUT ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH POLITICS?


I honestly believe that AARON SORKIN has come closer to the CAPRA epicenter than any other creator of visual media. But his focus has been on TV and he was committed to do a weekly version and there's no way that something like MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON can be repeated on a weekly basis.


But West Wing came as close to the genre as anything ever presented on TV. We were able to learn about the process within the White House even if it was slightly off center. Forget the leaning of the material.....think more about the human qualities that gave us hope and offered the possibility that not everyone in Washington was a full blown dickhead.


I wonder why Mr. Sorkin doesn't get more opportunities to make films. I realize he is a writer and creator but directing would seem like a natural thing for him.


In other words......where's FRANK CAPRA when you really need him.....and trust me when I say.....WE REALLY, REALLY NEED HIM.


There has to be a film maker out there who has watched Capra's work and said to him or her self....."SELF...THAT'S WHO I WANT TO BE WHEN I GROW UP."


I'm not even talking about stories like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE....but again I'll say....where the heaven are the film makers trying to create that type of genre?


Is it a bad thing to want to feel good when you leave a theater or see a film? Is it not possible to make a film that isn't fantasy based that makes hope spring eternal? Are animated features the only positive avenue through this rock known as Hollywood?


I guess we've become too hard and too cynical to believe that the ideals which build this country could be emphasised in a film for today's audience. I personally don't believe it and I think one of the ways to change this is to make viewing of MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON required in all Junior or Senior classes in AMERICA.


REQUIRED VIEWING means taking a test on the film.


I'm fairly certain that their are political science teachers out there who do this already but I'm asking for THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION to announce that no child will graduate from High School without viewing the following two films.


MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON and


THE FOGS OF WAR


BI-POLAR EXTREMES but reality needs to have a touch of FRANK CAPRA....as do all of us from time to time.....some more than others and some perhaps on a daily basis.


By the way....maybe George Lucas had aspirations to be Frank Capra but no way can you have 35 million people die in your movies and get put in that league.


Who is in FRANK CAPRA'S LEAGUE?


Seems to be a league of.......ONE.


THANK GOD FOR SMALL FAVORS.....imagine if there hadn't even been one.


MICHAEL TIMOTHY MC ALEVEY


p.s. I'm not eliminating Ron Howard from this genre....because I feel he has Capraesgue qualities....and I believe his greatest work has yet to be created....and that's saying a whole bunch, partner....because he has been impressive up to this point.



Also one of the problems might be that there really is no modern version of Jimmy Stewart...but I'm pretty sure that it's the material.
double p.s. I'm not overlooking the story by Lewis Foster or the screenplay by Sidney Buchman but I'm pretty sure Mr. Capra was responsible for what we saw on the screen.


No comments: