Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Hallelujah

First I've got to acknowledge the song writer.....kudos to Leonard Cohen for penciling a wonderful song....HALLELUJAH.

But after listening to Jeff Buckley's version I honestly feel like I never heard the song before....and it is a song that needs to be listened to...repeatedly.

Once you become aware of the circumstances regarding Jeff Buckley's short and remarkable contribution to the world of music...you can't help but cry while the song plays.

The CD is called "Grace" and it is a well kept secret....except of course to people who know music and regard musical history as something important to the "soul development" of a entire society.

And while I enjoy certain musical moments...I am by no means a fanatical music fan. I have my favorites and I listen to them in the car...occasionally. It's very hard to drive and not listen to audio books....as an example I just finished listening to Hemingway's ISLAND IN THE STREAM....and although it's not anywhere near as good as BAT OUT OF HELL...it really makes me feel like I practicing the art of "attempting" to be.....smarter.

But listening to Jeff Buckley's version of HALLELUJAH really makes me feel connected to a part of society that I might never encounter.

I have some young friends who are musical ingenues, who could possibly make their mark in the complex world of music....but the one thing they seem to be....is practical....and being practical generally means putting the deepest dreams on hold and doing what needs to be done as far as work and having a family.

I see the passion but I don't know what takes a musical person to the next level....It might be more than talent....it might be some previous life debt collection......it might be exercise, diet and prayer......but I can tell you one very important thing.....

IF IT MEANS HAVING A LIFE EXPERIENCE THAT IS SHORTENED, AS WITH JEFF BUCKLEY, THEN I NEVER WANT MY FRIENDS TO EVER SING OR PLAY ANOTHER FREAKIN NOTE FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.

If on the other hand they keep improving and working towards various levels of musical accomplishments that put them into many different musical experiences...then I say....

THAT'S THE WAY TO ROLL

Listening to Jeff Buckley I get sad....but when a great artist leaves behind a great work then it's ok to be sad.....and always remember the following NEO-ILLUMINATION....

"Soul Awareness Development is SAD for awhile....and then it simply becomes obvious....
that sad can't be."

If you know who Jeff is then you know exactly what I'm talking about.
If you don't know who Jeff is...then you need to learn.

It's a wonderful gift and it comes with GRACE

Hallelujah

Michael Timothy McAlevey



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my god tim!! a couple of months ago, i bought Grace!! and that is basically all i've been playing in my car. haha. he's amazing! how weird! my favorite song is lover you should've come over. such a good CD!!!!
love you, laura