Monday, May 25, 2015

I simply don't understand.

The other day I had three retail operations asking me for $1.00.   I denied twice and accepted once.

Two were for military family assistence and one was for hungry children.

With the annual defense budget ranging from $600 to $750 BILLION, depending on who you talk to and funds not fully accounted for, I just assume there is enough money to handle ANYTHING military.

Speculation is that a million children in the United States go to bed hungry every single night.

Then I thought about the amount of charities and foundations there are; combined with social programs in the billions and Walgreens is asking for a dollar donation in order to FEED hungry children.  (And they didn't have anymore red noses....but I did get a sticker)

I started looking into charities and discovered some very interesting facts that make me realize that I just don't understand.....ANYTHING.

(following figures are from 2014......http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/)

UNITED WAY has an annual revenue of $4.2 BILLION
and the government (you and other tax payers) gives them another $270 million.
Their top executive makes $1.9 million a year.

GOODWILL has a annual revenue stream of $5.3 BILLION
and the government (still you) gives them $465 million in support.
Their top executive makes $635,000 a year.

YMCA has an annual revenue of $6.6 BILLION
and the government gives them $606 million
Their top ex makes $515,000 a year.

THE TOP TEN CHARITIES IN THE US GENERATE APPROXIMATELY
$30 BILLION.......annually.....and please note that there are hundreds of charities...if not thousands when you count church organizations.

THE FACTS AND FIGURES GO ON AND ON AND ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT THE DIFFERENT WEB SITES DEVOTED TO CHARITIES.

WITH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY BEING GENERATED EACH YEAR BY CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS AND WITH THE SIZE OF FOUNDATIONS,SUCH AS THE BILL AND MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION,COMBINED WITH OUR SOCIAL PROGRAMS.....

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT ANY CHILD GOES TO BED HUNGRY IN THIS COUNTRY?

I SIMPLY DON'T UNDERSTAND

I'm willing to learn if you have an answer.

Michael Timothy McAlevey




No comments: