Saturday, August 24, 2013

Logic and the movies and of course WHATEVER

The concept of logical form is central to logic, it being held that the validity of an argument is determined by its logical form, not by its content. Traditional Aristotelian syllogistic logic and modern symbolic logic are examples of formal logics.
  • Informal logic is the study of natural language arguments. The study of fallacies is an especially important branch of informal logic. The dialogues of Plato[6] are good examples of informal logic.
  • Formal logic is the study of inference with purely formal content. An inference possesses a purely formal content if it can be expressed as a particular application of a wholly abstract rule, that is, a rule that is not about any particular thing or property. The works of Aristotle contain the earliest known formal study of logic. Modern formal logic follows and expands on Aristotle.[7] In many definitions of logic, logical inference and inference with purely formal content are the same. This does not render the notion of informal logic vacuous, because no formal logic captures all of the nuance of natural language.
  • Symbolic logic is the study of symbolic abstractions that capture the formal features of logical inference.[8][9] Symbolic logic is often divided into two branches: propositional logic and predicate logic.
  • Mathematical logic is an extension of symbolic logic into other areas, in particular to the study of model theory, proof theory, set theory, and recursion theory.
The above is from our favorite information site....Wikipedia. 

The secret to learning is that one must want to learn.  And being smart means nothing if you keep doing dumb things.  Obviously in my particular situation I have mental incompetence when it comes to the subject of finances.  I firmly believe that my artwork and my writing will provide me with the paths that lead to financial security but since I am in my middle 60's and it hasn't happened yet.....there has to be a sense of logic that enters the picture.  Or should enter the picture might be a better choice of explaining what I actually mean.  I regard myself as a dedicated artist and at no time in the near future will I stop considering myself in those terms.

And thus enters the concept of logic.

Please go back and read the Formal Logic part of the above definitions.

The simple fact that Aristotle and Plato are involved in the origins of Informal and Formal Logic and that Formal Logic is fundamentally intrinsic to the Programming of computers just simply blows my fucking little tiny brain all over the fucking face of Mt. Rushmore.

The fact that Tim Beners-Lee invented the World Wide Web on a NeXT computer at CERN really flips me out.

I went to see the "JOBS" movie yesterday and it got me asking some fundamental questions and the first one is......WHY ISN'T ANYBODY GOING TO SEE THIS MOVIE?  It can't be Ashton Kutcher's fault....can it?  From an historical point of view, regarding the development of personal computers, IT'S A MUST SEE.  I really lost track of who was acting the parts because the story is so damn interesting and so important.

ANY YOUNG PERSON THINKING ABOUT BUILDING ANYTHING NEW SHOULD RUN TO THIS FILM. Any older person who doesn't know how the personal computer world exploded since 1980 should run to this film.

People that are older who say they can't operate a computer are suck in an illogical state of mind.

LOGICAL THINKING, WHETHER IT BE FORMAL OR INFORMAL IS ALREADY PART OF THEIR HUMAN THOUGHT PROCESS.  

THE SECRET TO LEARNING IS ONE MUST WANT TO LEARN

I understand that Aaron Sorkin is writing a movie about Steve but it's a very narrow storyline and the JOBS movie playing right now, with no one in the audience, is a history lesson. Two and 1/2 hours is a pretty short history lesson when it comes to the world of personal computers and hand held entertainment objects, but the fact that APPLE is the core story makes it important.

 Jonathan Ivie might be the most unheralded designer in the history of design.  I realize people in the business of design know who he is but the average Jane and Joe has no idea what he has done to improve the basic way things look. 

Jonathan Ivie's concept of beauty is simple and clean and it flows.

I didn't know who he was until yesterday but I'm going out on a limb here by saying the following illogical statement.

Jonathan Ivie would like some of my artwork.

I'm choosing to ignore logic while making that statement but I'm sticking to the part of my brain that houses  intuitive  thinking and deep hallucinations.

Two years ago today Steve Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple.

Six weeks later he resigned from PR and returned to NPR

Logic dictates that anyone interested in the history of certain aspects of the technological revolution that has taken place in our lifetime.....should go see this movie.

But then again when I look around the planet I see that LOGIC is not a priority among a vast number of human beings. 

Fortunately Aristotle and Plato are still playing at the library of your choice.

And JOBS is still playing at your local theater. 

By the way......I'M A
RBSJ

REALLY BIG SCREEN JUNKIE....but you probably already knew that.

Is it logical to spend 7 dollars on a movie when one only has 10 left?

Does anybody have Aristotle's cell phone number?

Michael Timothy McAlevey







No comments: