Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sweet surprise

Searching for Sugar Man is a documentary that simply deserves as much notoriety as any film made in 2012.

I don't want to reveal any pertinent information because everything unfolds in the film and one shouldn't have a clue until that process actually happens on the screen.  I don't read reviews until AFTER I've seen a film because I want my own experience to be raw.

The concept of a the big screen experience in a dark movie theater is intended to be a large, magical and emotionally surprising or rewarding event. 

Previews and reviews are major attacks on that experience and often times people walk out of a movie disappointed and they aren't even sure why.

When I see a movie, that should be seen by others, I simply try to say that it's a must see movie.  At the beginning of the year when Moonrise Kingdom came out I told friends that it was the best movie of the year and when they saw it they totally didn't get anywhere near that reaction.   It was the best movie of the year when it came out.  There have been numerous better movies since then, but I still think it was one of the top ten films I saw in 2012.

My top five films that I say are must see.......

Searching for Sugar Man
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Ted (the funniest movie I've seen in years)

and 2 bonus films
Brave (best animation since Beauty and the Beast)
Argo  (which is probably better than Lincoln but it's Lincoln for christsakes)

My understanding is that there are a couple of must see releases between now and Christmas but I find it hard to believe that they can crack my top 5....but that's exactly why we go to the movies.

SURPRISE ME HOLLYWOOD!

And while I'm begging to be surprised I might as well ask one more favor......after all, it is Christmas time and a wish list is still a wish list no matter how young or old you happen to be.

In 2013 could someone who matters in the world of movie making magic....please read my scripts.

Happy Holidays and I'll see you inside the theater.\

Michael Timothy McAlevey



No comments: