Saturday, November 24, 2012

Holiday season is now offically started

When Abe Lincoln created Thanksgiving on October 3, 1863 he said the national holiday would occur on the LAST Thursday of November.

I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS THE LAST THURSDAY OF NOVEMBER....but there are questions about my memory.

HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT WE HAVE ONE MORE THURSDAY IN NOVEMBER AND YOU'VE ALREADY CELEBRATED THANKSGIVING?

Now...my paranoid brain has me wondering how Wal-Mart, JCP, Costco and the 99 cent store had our greatest non-secular family holiday changed to the 3rd Thursday of every November?

IF THIS WASN'T DONE TO INCREASE OUR HOLIDAY SPENDING BY ANOTHER WEEK THAN I'LL  EAT A BEET SANDWICH...and anybody who knows me knows I won't allow a beet on the same street where I live.

WHEN DID THIS FIRST HAPPEN?

IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN TEN YEARS AGO BUT I'M A LITTLE SLOW IN CATCHING ON.

One of my favorite quotes....."I'm not stupid just slow"  Which is usually followed by one of my friends saying......"are you absolutely sure?"  To which I reply...."absolutely.....maybe"

Of course I could look it up on the Internet but then I won't be able to have the above rant appear on Mind Jazz. 

I do know that I've asked 30 people so far and the answers have ranged from...

"oh you mean this isn't the last Thursday of November?"
"It started last year."
"I think it's just a one time deal"
"who cares"
"don't you have better things to do?"
"I'd like to talk but I've got a lot more shopping to do"
"I wish it was every month"

I've noticed over the last 50 years that I seem interested in many things that have no interest to other people.

That also seems to apply to my artwork and to my scripts....so I think I'm going to start using different names for different things I do....which means creating more Facebook pages and more e-mail addresses.

So if you see something that looks like something I might do then simply rest assured that it's actually me doing what I do but with a different non-de plume......mabye.....absolutely.

Let the Holidays begin with a Trojan victory over the Irish.

And remember if you truly care about the economic stability of America then you will shop shop shop shop shop shop shop shop until you have no more money and have gone further into debt.

NOW THAT'S THE AMERICA I KNOW AND LOVE.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

and just in case you need the actual facts on this silly topic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)

Michael Timothy McAlevey














No comments: