Monday, July 23, 2012

Salute to Hef

In 1958 I was 12 years old and Playboy was five.  Even though it was five years younger than I,  it proved to be a guiding parental shaped influence none the less. Moral issues were absorbed by osmosis of close content with the writing. Between the ages of 12 and 30 I was a regular reader although never a subscriber.  Between 1977 and 1987 I was married and on some occasions, while out of town on business, would select Playboy as my evening companion. From 1988 to 1994 I would entertain a Playboy edition once in awhile.

Since 1994 I've only seen a few issues and that's strictly because I have issues which I don't care to discuss at this particular time. They aren't secret issues just issues not relevant to this article....and they are issues that can't be rectified by pictures of women with large breasts.  I've always preferred a smaller mammary gland look, so Playboy's centerfolds always were a bit over the top for me.  Of course when I was 13-20 I just liked looking at any beautiful woman without her clothes on....and Playboy had a style and a texture that fulfilled that desire in a most complete manner. The actual layouts were always done with extreme class and elegance. Picking up the other competitive magazines from time to time was generally disappointing.  Playboy was crisp and clean.  Penthouse was crude and Hustler was like a bad "B" movie.

Playboy separated itself with it's content....both in the arenas of humor and political issues.

The interviews during the 60's and the 70's were extremely important on so many different levels.

Hugh Hefner always appeared to be on the sensible and honest side of issues. I'm fairly certain that his stand on racial equality was equal in importance to white America as was Martin Luther King's importance to black America.

I realize that statement needs to be absorbed for a few minutes. 

In retrospect I think a very strong case could be made for Hugh Hefner's importance in the awareness of racial injustice in America.....and how that injustice was softly introduced through a literary publication that also showed beautiful young women with their clothes off.

IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE ONLY WAY TO INTRODUCE THE SUBJECT TO A VERY LARGE PORTION OF THE YOUNG WHITE AMERICAN MALE POPULATION.

I'm not certain that his original intentions were to wake up America to racial injustices, but after awhile he had to see that it truly was part of the Playboy agenda.

I also realize that today we have a very large segment of our white adult male population ( mostly Republicans) that will do anything to assure that our African American President is a one term President.  Playboy needs to make a circulation comeback like in 1972 when it sold 7 million copies a month....or expand to uptight foreign markets. Currently the circulation in the U.S is 1 and 1/2 million.

There are many countries that ban the sale of Playboy including India and China. I think it's interesting to equate America in the 60's to those countries today.  Most Muslim countries forbid the sale, except Lebanon and Turkey.

There were extreme condemnations of Playboy by woman's groups throughout the years....but I believe that woman's rights and their position in business and politics owes a large thank you to Mr. Hefner and his magazine.

Religious organizations are usually at the heart of the protests and if you think of women's rights in Muslim countries then it's easy to see why Playboy India, Playboy China, Playboy Saudi Arabia, Playboy Pakistan, Playboy Iran and Playboy Thailand SHOULD IMMEDIATELY BE PUBLISHED.....on a weekly basis.

SOMETHING IS GOOFY IN THOSE COUNTRIES AND A HUGE PART OF THAT SOMETHING HAS TO DO WITH THE INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM AND THE INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS OF WOMEN.

HUGH....WE NEED YOU MORE THAN EVER ..........ON A GLOBAL BASIS. 

I realize that you are 86 but maybe you've got 14 years left to keep the ball rolling.....or in your case.....the balls.

I salute you sir.....but keep your hands off my daughter.

Michael Timothy McAlevey



No comments: