Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mom


The concept of mothering is a really really good idea.  Being a "mom" is another story. Of course not every women who becomes a mother has the ability to become a "mom."  But when it's done right it's probably the most important job on the planet. When it's not done right, it results in some fairly messed up human beings. 

A "mom" doesn't have to have financial stability to perform her duties, but of course it helps reduce negative personality traits if the mother doesn't have to worry about feeding and housing her off spring.....but that's another story that usually centers on the father's irresponsibility.

I really love the NFL draft stories where the 21 year old 300 lb. left guard from LSU thanks his single mom who worked three jobs and raised 7 children.  Now that's a "mom." That type of "mom" is a reality TV show that actually makes sense.  How in the world does she do it?  Come on Mark Burnett....let us see the "moms" that appear to be "supermoms."

To be honest when I read about situations in third world countries, where children are starving on a regular basis, I have no idea how a "mom" keeps her sanity. I would imagine that the woman who becomes a good "mom" in that type of environment.......is inching toward sainthood.

Throughout America we have millions of regular "moms."  "Regular moms" are the backbone of the middle class and their strength is what makes every country, with a viable middle class, function properly.

PROPERLY, in this context, is a word that I'm using to describe orderly behavior.  Orderly behavior is behavior that is naturally taught by a "mom."  Of course rebellious actions on the part of a hormonal driven teenager is not considered proper behavior but normally those actions are followed by apologies.....and knowing right from wrong, even when acting wrong, is the difference between being socially adaptable and socially irresponsible.

Socially irresponsible people most likely don't have a "regular mom."  Socially irresponsible people can end up in jail without very much effort.

I don't think there are very many mothers in jail.  There are tons of fathers behind bars.  I'm guessing that most of those fathers didn't have a "mom" in their life.

I had a "mom" and although she fell victim to the demon rum (mainly screwdrivers) she made numerous decisions that gave her three children a chance to partake in  a full range of experiences.  Two of the three grew up to be very socially responsible and the third has yet to grow up but keeps an eye on the "target" even though the eye is filled with wild dreams and odd fantasies of artistic success.

My "mom" taught me to draw doodles. She taught my brother how to "own things" and she taught my sister how to "love animals."

My stuff is much more colorful.  Their stuff is much more practical.  But "mom" made all three of us pretty confident in knowing that what we do is the right thing to do. I'm easily the least socially responsible of the three but that's because I'm an artist and often times an artist has no clue about anything practical.

My mom was a very good artist and her mom was a very good artist and for some reason she decided that I would carry the artist banner. I'm pretty sure she would love my body of work.....which in truth.....is her body of work.  My brother's full lifestyle would also make her very happy and my sister's business, Gigi's Flying Dog Ranch motel in Santa Ynez would cause her excessive joy.

One of the main jobs of socially responsible people is to make their mothers proud.

I think that goal has been achieved and therefore, without qualm, I can easily say..................

"HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY......MOM."

Michael Timothy McAlevey





No comments: