Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Birthday music....Sean Style.

34 years and forever counting.  Obviously non-physical reality birthday parties are normally rather quiet times to reflect on the physical reality lost but since this is Dance Week on Mind Jazz, I thought it might be uplifting to share some music that Sean liked.

The first concert he ever attended was Aerosmith with Ryan Gruzen. Ron and I took our boys to the Forum and watched Steven Tyler do his thing. It was in March of 1990 and they were both 11 years old. It was a
magical memory and a really good rock and roll show.


During that time period I used to have to tell him to turn down his music many many many times and a group that was always just a little bit louder than the others was Guns and Roses. 



Then after that his taste started getting a rougher edge and his absolute favorite music for the next few years was delivered by Kurt Cobain and
Nirvana



Of course I fought for normal rock and roll but Sean tried to explain that this was the sound of the future and Grunge was here to stay.

I'm sure his friends have a much wider memory of Sean's music tastes, but these three groups set the tone for what he loved. He also loved Seamus's piano playing and Ryan's musical ability and I have a video of him break dancing to Michael Jackson when he was 9 that might be my favorite musical memory of all time but it's on VHS and I haven't converted it yet. Maybe next year.

And just to wrap this party up I thought I'd give you one more
soft dance tune.

Get it on
Happy Birthday
Sean Maximilian McAlevey











No comments: