Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blame it on being TOO BIG and too ZEN



Please note the size of Zenyatta compared to Blame.....which turns out to be her only problem. They are going to have to find a stud the size of a Clydesdale if they want to breed her.

Not only is her physical size impressive.....her stature as a celebrity rivals Angelina. When they build her statue at Hollywood Park it will take more bronze than any horse statue ever constructed.

A large part of her running style is due to her tremendous size. It takes her 3/4 of a race to get untracked and then 19 out of 20 times she's managed to get to the finish line first.

Yesterday had she started one second sooner or had the race been one second longer....then we would not be looking at Blame.

Another aspect of her running style simply rests with the fact that she takes her sweet time to get interested in what she's doing. She's really like a lot of women I've known in my life. But once you've got her interest and she's fully involved in the project at hand...the result is legendary.

Zenyatta does not have to worry about being Horse of the Year because she is without doubt the greatest female race horse that has ever existed.....and I think that is quite enough. Actually Zenyatta doesn't have to worry about any of that nonsense. Right now she's about as concerned with setting the clocks back an hour as I am with wondering why I didn't do better on a third grade math quiz.

I hope nobody out there thinks Zenyatta feels like she let everybody down. I grew up around horses and when Zenyatta wakes up Sunday morning she will be wondering where her breakfast is......period.

The best thing about the Breeder's Cup Classic was the simple fact that nobody or no thing got hurt during the event. Horse racing is having attendance problems and had one of those great athletes stumbled or fallen down then it would have been another blow to the sport.

I wonder if the Moss family calls her Zen for short? I've never heard them talk about her as Zen.

I personally don't think they should retire her yet. She didn't start running until her fourth year and she can only have one foal a year anyway..... so simply charge more for her foals and let her run another year. And it's a crap shoot even if they bring Storm Cat out of pension and give him one more pop at the age of 27. Maybe Curlin should get on the horn and try to set up a dinner date for later next year.

She has easily been the best race horse story in many many many many years. In fact I can't remember a single race horse story that even comes close to rivaling Zenyatta. There are movies and there are highlights from the past but Zenyatta is a NOW experience and what else would one expect
from
a
true
ZEN
moment.

I would personally like to thank the Moss family for allowing her racing career to last as long as it did.

It was perfect and the race yesterday was perfect and there is no one to BLAME because there was no mistake and there was no failure.

It's horse racing and there can only be one winner......except in rare cases like the event we just witnessed yesterday under the legendary Twin Spires of Churchill Downs.

EVERYBODY WON!

Michael Timothy McAlevey




1 comment:

Caroline said...

Really liked your analysis of the big race—makes me feel a little better, I think, after 24 hours of wishing she’d had six more inches to get across that line first. But, I agree, it was horseracing at its best. I have to admit that I was glued to the set for the entire day hoping to catch glimpse of (Zen) this great mare! I’m not sure I’d agree with you on her racing another year. She has remained unscathed so far and I’d like to see her retire somewhere where her flocks of fans can go and visit. It will be exciting to see what kind of foals she produces. If they are even one tenth of her greatness we will be in for more exciting events like the 2010 Breeder’s Cup!

Btw: Found your site through an Echo Lake friend!