Sunday, August 22, 2010

The dog days of summer and back to school blues

The weather in Santa Monica has been perfect all summer and that means we are probably due for some strange heat wave in September and October.

I have the back to school blues because it means the traffic will increase once again. August is easily the best month to drive around LA. I also have the back to school blues because I'm not going back to school.

Those who are fortunate enough to be heading back to places of higher education probably don't have any idea how special this time is for them.

I say probably because I'm simply jealous and I'd hate to think that young people know how to enjoy the finer things in life.

School is most definitely one of the finer things in life.

Perhaps it might just be the time period when one attends school but I think not. I truly believe the opportunity to sit in organized class rooms and discuss pertinent topics is a gift that can never be duplicated.

I agree that some pertinent topics can be extremely boring but if the teacher is good than even those topics can be fun.

IF THE TEACHER IS GOOD is the magic phrase. But I remember students who made the teachers better by asking the right questions....so therefore, many times, the responsibility lies with the participant not the instructor.

All students should challenge their teachers.

All teachers should pray that they have students who can challenge them.

Of course that accounting class might be a bit hard to introduce the element of challenge because it's all simply organized structural system management and that doesn't vary.

But even accounting 101 can be fun if the teacher is on acid.

I think you have to go to school in the Bay Area if you want that class.

Oh yes.........school was really really really different in 1968 and 1969 and 1970.......hummmmmm

Anyway summer is almost over and it sounds like I should be going back to school.

Hummmmmm......that's a really good idea.

Where's the application?

Who would take me?

What would be my major?

I'm excited.....but there will be no accounting.

Michael Timothy McAlevey








No comments: