Thursday, July 29, 2010

The art of selling art




Obviously if I was in my 20's and did the type of artwork I do, there would be a certain buzz.

The depth and breath of that buzz can only be determined by chance and serendipity.

The problem is that its taken 40 years to get to where I can create the type of flow/color combination that satisfies me....and even then I'm not totally satisfied.

When I think about how much artwork I've sold in my life it truly is staggering to know that less than 1% of that has been my own work.

I sell a piece here and there but I have friends that don't even bother to ask how much something is....even after they say how much they like a particular piece.

The fact that most of it is not framed might have something to do with it.

I suppose I could enter the 21st Century and put some "stuff" on E-Bay.....but Meg Whitman isn't getting any of my money.

The hypocrisy here is that if Meg wanted to buy a piece for a few grand....I would hand deliver it with a big yellow bow.

I think I'll just keep posting here until someone responds.

Art can be an extreme waiting game.......as is any occupation that is a result of personal creation.

Music, Art, Skateboarding, Script Writer, Fortune Teller, Presidential Advisor, Math Professor...etc.

We all just keep doing what we do until someone wants a piece of the action.

I have ten new pieces that I will be uploading over the next few days. Maybe one of those pieces will catch your eye.

The art of selling art is an odd art.

Michael Timothy McAlevey




No comments: