Thursday, July 2, 2009

Whatever Works and Public Enemies

I've seen two movies in the last week and only one gets my recommendation.

Whatever Works, the new Woody Allen movie, is a typical Woody Allen movie and in my opinion that's a very good thing. No one else writing and directing comes close to supplying the amount of information that Woody pours forth during his 90 minute films. It's non stop social commentary and because of his comic genius he is able to present the bleakest sides of human nature with enough humor to make it not only bearable but extremely funny.

It's almost so rapid fire that the movie requires a second viewing just to digest the entire rant.

And the fact that he was able to use Larry David for the character he would normally play is incredible. Mr. David is a taller version of Mr. Allen and they both appear to be quite similar in their neurotic behavior. Of course I don't know either of them but the persona that they want us to envision is totally based on multiple forms of neurotic behavior.

AND IF THAT IS THEIR GOAL THEY FAR EXCEED THE TARGET.

Evan Rachel Wood should get a Oscar nomination for her role. She nails the character and I looked forward to every scene that she was in. Brilliant job.

I highly advise everyone to see this film....even though I know there aren't masses of Woody Allen fans. The majority of his fans probably reside in NY, Los Angeles and Chicago. Hopefully there will be enough viewers to cover the distribution costs.

THE NEXT FILM THAT I SAW WON'T NEED ANY HELP COVERING DISTRIBUTION COSTS

BUT

PUBLIC ENEMIES....

.....makes no sense and has no social value and says nothing about anything important.

If it wasn't for Johnny Depp this movie wouldn't do $25 million in box office but because of Mr. Depp it will probably go over a $100 million.....this weekend.

IT'S SILLY...and it just doesn't make very much sense.

Johnny Depp does less in this film than any film he's ever made.

Am I really suppose to empathize with John Dillinger because he fell in love?

Am I really suppose to understand why he doesn't think regular people's money is in the bank?

I've read reviews on both of the above movies and both reviewers completely disagree with my opinion of each movie....so I'm just humbly asking you to ALSO see the Woody Allen movie...because I know you will see the Johnny Depp film.

AND THEN ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS

Which film makes you think?
Which film gives you hope for the human race?
Which film has genius behind the camera and the script?
Which film has more machine gun fire than you ever seen in your life?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Johnny play the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland so I can get the feeling once more that Mr. Depp is the best actor alive.

I think Larry David should have played John Dillinger but that's just flat out ridiculous.

Go see
Whatever Works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: