Sunday, December 14, 2008

JOURNAL TRANSCRIPTION

THIS IS THE FIRST JOURNAL TRANSCRIPTION THAT I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED...
MY JOURNAL'S HAVE DESIGNS AND DRAWINGS THAT WON'T BE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY ARE PART OF THE "EXPERIENCE" OF KEEPING A HAND-WRITTEN JOURNAL.

I SUPPOSE I COULD SCAN THE PAGES OF THE JOURNAL BUT I JUST DON'T WANT TO....

KIND OF ROCK & ROLL ATTITUDE.... which corresponds quite nicely with the content of this
"ARTICLE"


PAGE 1


DECEMBER 5 2008

The AC DC "Trip"
or
The AC DC Excursion
or
Riding the AC DC "Bus from Hell".....which could be their next hit single

However or whatever it's called
it's the first time in four years
that I've traveled out of
California

And then when I stop to think about it I realize I went to North Carolina in 2006

BAD TRIP
trying to forget about it
&
obviously successful

PAGE 2

But this
trip
is
for
something
special

AND I WILL REMEMBER IT FOR A VERY LONG TIME

If I treat this as my ACDC blog
then I will be able to update
when I return to my
computer

obviously being one
of the few people
without
a
laptop

A dear friend lent me a laptop awhile back and it burned my legs because I was using it in bed and the battery was flawed....had to call the paramedics but of course I'm just kidding....but it did get freaking hot.

PAGE 3

The beginning of the trip starts at the Greyhound Station in downtown LA which is a story within a story. In the station, while waiting, I sit next to the only people who look like me...maybe it was subconscious maybe it wasn't...and they turn out to be two college kids from Melbourne traveling to Las Vegas and beyond. Thank God I had just seen Australia so we had a nice chat and I blew smoke up their ass because I loved the movie and am now an expert on their country....thanks again BAZ.

Not really sure if I've ever taken a bus to another state.......Pretty sure, in fact, that I haven't.
And using really and pretty in the same sentence is really pretty.....while at the same time being really pretty lame.

The first leg of my trip is a bus to Las Vegas
The second leg will be in a KIA in Humboldt-Dewey, Arizona
The third will be a KIA to Phoenix.

At this point I have no idea how I will get back to Santa Monica but hopefully that will happen on the 11th or 12th

ACDC Concert
is
DECEMBER 10th

ROCK & ROLL
"WOW"

PAGE 4

But First.....

The bus for Dogs
pulls out at
10:05
Headed for Vegas

A young white Lil Wayne impersonator sits behind me with his girlfriend and tells me I look like Clint Eastwood. His African American overweight babe says he is crazy and I don't look anything like Clint........I agree with her and hunker down in a window seat third row from the back. A grayish haired woman decides that I'm not going to bite and sits on the aisle seat.

Next stop
Barstow!

But suddenly we pull into Union Station......had I known I would have started in this Historic building.

Keeping in mind that anything
historic in LA is
pre-1940

But for future reference and as a suggestion.....Union Station is the place to start a trip.

We pick up one passenger and now
off to Barstow
I think

PAGE 5

Then we stop in El Monte and pick up one guy at the Metro Station. It seems weird but then again I'm on a Bus to Vegas so weird might not be the right description.

It's now about 10:40 and we've made it to El Monte
and the bus appears to be full...I can't really see any empty seats up front but
it could be full of short people.

At about 11:05 we stop in Claremont and pick up one guy....the guy has turret's but his hair is really nice. He sits two rows in front of me in a window seat that I hadn't noticed was empty.
Obviously my BOL (Bus Observation Level) needs some work.

"Barstow is the next stop
where we will get a
30 minute
recess"
The Bus Driver stands and delivers this message because his speaker system doesn't work. He reminds us "that numerous people have been stranded in Barstow because they didn't get back to the bus on time and he says that if your destination is Las Vegas...then Barstow will prove to be a disappointment. Hopefully all of us will arrive in Vegas at 4:00."

PAGE SIX

I basically read the latest "Jack Reacher"novel by Lee Child and didn't speak to the lady next to me until about ten minutes out of Barstow. She took numerous pictures and made multiple notes in her small journal...very small writing, but I noticed stickers from Getty and Moca. We'll have things to talk about...besides Barstow.

We arrive in Barstow on time and most people get off the bus and head into a large building that obviously is owned by multiple Asian groups...maybe just one but I think it's a mix. I hate to admit that it's hard for me to tell....but there are 20 food concessions and 50 souvenir stands inside the building and they are all run by people from certain parts of the Asian continent.

The woman is from Germany and there is no more reading and no more journal entries because we talk most of the way to Vegas. I do show her some pages from my journal and her eyes brighten and I can tell she's feeling pretty good about being in America. She has been traveling for two months by herself....and I'm fairly certain I am the only American to show her his journal. I think she even got off a little but it's hard to tell because it's been so long since I've seen it happen. I do remember the look so I'm pretty sure the Fraulein had a moment.


PAGE SEVEN

We arrive in Las Vegas at exactly 4:00....amazing. Mike is three blocks away from the station and arrives in his brand new
Orange Kia

There are so many sidebar stories
to this story

Mike makes six figures
selling furniture
and has for
the last 15 years

Mike just built
a
6000 sq foot
house in Arizona

Mike drives between
Arizona
New Mexico
and
Neveda
He has been on the road for 30 years

The reason he drives a

KIA

$16,000 out the door
35 MPG

Mike is one of my oldest and dearest friends and I wish to God I had a slight touch of his monetary organization. I've often told him that he should be selling munitions because that's where the big money is. He could sell anything but he likes the Furniture business and he's comfortable in the environment....but the KIA thing is a little strange...considering how much driving he does.

He picks me up and I tell him about the Fraulein and as we start to drive away he stops and says..."do you think she needs a ride to her Hotel" I say "I'm sure she does" and he turns around and we go back to the station and there she is looking down the street for a bus. We pull up and she smiles and accepts the ride because she has no idea where she's going. The motel is about four miles from the strip but she was very happy for the ride and of course Mike loved showing off his brand new ride.

END OF CHAPTER ONE




No comments: