Thursday, November 29, 2007

POP SENSIBILITIES

November 28, 2007
Yesterday they shut off my cable because someone came to their office and told them they were moving into my apartment. The cable company, Time Warner, told me that the culprits had a copy of a lease with my address.

I’ve heard horror stories about Time Warner but this is my first experience.

I’m now sitting here waiting for the cable guy to show up and reconnect me to the world. The main loss is my Internet High Speed Access.

Last night I sat down twice to find information and both times had forgotten that I was UNPLUGGED.

I am without e-mail for the first time in a long time.

One of the positive results of not having cable or Internet was watching a Midnight Special DVD from old shows in the 70’s. I watched Fleetwood Mac do one song and remembered why every guy in America wanted to have sex with Stevie Nicks.

Then this morning I read a review by Robert Hilburn in the LA Times on Kurt Cobain UNPLUGGED. A new DVD has been released and after reading the review I really want to watch the show.
Mr. Hilburn hit the nail on the head when he talked about Nirvana then and how those of us in our 30 and 40’s simply rejected the grunge scene from Seattle. My son loved the band but I didn’t get it.

The fact that Kurt died within 3 months of my son always seemed ironic to me but it never made me want to readdress the music issue.

I think I can now address the issue of what Kurt Cobain meant to the youth of that time….and perhaps garner some greater knowledge of what and why my son was such a huge Nirvana fan.

It always seemed like a lot of angry screaming to me……but perhaps I’m ready for that genre. I have noticed a lot of people telling me to be quiet lately and lower my voice.

I think I’m going to ignore those people and start talking even louder.

People who know me……will probably say…..”How much louder can he get?”

Let’s find out…..bring on KURT and let’s up the ante…….

*********

I had dinner last night with a friend who plays in a ROCK band called ADAM DARLING. He plays the keyboard and we got around to discussing his personal music. I think he has great POP SENSIBILITIES and maybe he doesn't quite know how talented he is. There's the other side to this coin that I perhaps don't know what I'm talking about.

I associate all music with the ability to dance. And when I watch a band play and no one is dancing I wonder what happened.

That's where POP SENSIBILITIES come into play. Somehow he has to interject his POP SENSIBILITIES into the band and then they might take the endeavor to the next level. I'm not currently sure where the next level is in rock music but I still know what makes me want to dance.....and sing.

Ryan Gruzen wrote a song about 5 years ago called...RAZZLE ME, DAZZLE ME that I think fills the entire chart for having POP SENSIBILITIES and I can't wait to hear it done with a band.

IT WILL HAPPEN.

But for now I'm going to watch KURT and try to understand what made him the icon that he is.....

Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: