Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's offical and I blame it on Vinny

Last night the Dodgers were officially eliminated from post season play and the final nail in the coffin was caused by VIN SCULLY.

Of course Vin Scully is my favorite sports related figure on the planet...and maybe in my top five favorites of living and historical figures. In other words.....I really like the guy....but last night I found his behavior to not only be irresponsible but slightly strange.

I watched the entire game from the first moments when Vin says..."It's time for Dodger baseball," to the very end when he says goodnight and stay tuned for the Dodger wrap show.

NOT ONCE DID VIN MENTION THAT THE DODGERS WERE STILL MATHEMATICALLY IN THE RACE FOR THE WILD CARD.

NOT ONCE

and at least ten times during the game he mentioned how important the game was for the Colorado Rockies....

I think at least 70% of the Dodger fans watching the game last night just assumed that they were already eliminated....because VIN is the final word to Dodger fans.

So my theory is that the people watching the game weren't rooting in the same manner as normal and the amount of energy directed towards the Dodgers was extremely low.

It wasn't Mark Hendrikson's pitching, or Scott Proctor's pitching or Hernandez's pitching....or errors that the Dodgers committed....or the fact that Normar still wasn't in the starting lineup.....

IT WAS VIN SCULLY'S FAULT FOR NOT REPORTING THE ABSOLUTE REALITY.

Had he been a bit more positive about the situation then maybe they would still be battling in the wild card race....which of course would have been almost impossible but the words.....mathematically eliminated ....are based on actual realities and the Dodgers were still alive yesterday....and VIN SCULLY never mentioned IT...

I realize that Vinny doesn't normally go on road trips so when he traveled to Colorado last week, that four game sweep by the Rockies was just too much for him to take....and probably will result in no more road trips for Mr. Scully.

I mean no more road trips while being employed by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

And at his age I totally understand, but had the Dodgers gone into Colorado and won four straight then today they would still be in the wild card race and Vinny would not be ignoring the reality, of which he is paid quite well...to do.

I can't fault Vinny for the way the Dodgers played...but I think he was totally irresponsible by not mentioning the REALITY of the pennant race.

THE REALITY:

THE DODGERS WERE NOT ELIMINATED FROM POST SEASON PLAY UNTIL THEIR 157th game.

So when compared to many Major League teams....the Dodgers had a hugely successful season.

Of course the expectations were much higher in Los Angeles, but if you talked to every major league team owner and general manger who didn't make the playoffs...the general theme would be....

Expectations were much higher during spring training.

None of this explains why Vinny didn't mention the wild card race in last night's game when the Dodgers were still mathematically ALIVE.

TODAY THEY ARE OFFICALLY DEAD AND I BLAME IT ON VINNY.

Of course I don't blame the other 156 games on Vinny...just number 157....and that turns out to be the elimantion game....and my hero....failed to mention the reality.

And that's not like him and I've decided to not listen to him during the off-season.

That's my form of protest....because there are three or four times during the off-season that I pop in audio tapes of Dodgers games just to listen to Vin....but not this off-season.

So take that Mr. Scully!

Michael Timothy McAlevey






No comments: