Thursday, August 16, 2007

The King and ???




When I was 12 years old the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles and that made me very happy but before that first season in LA was over, I had become really excited about something else. In July of 1958 a movie was released with the young upstart of Rock and Roll....who would later become the King of Rock and Roll.

King Creole is still one of my favorite movies of all time and easily the best Elvis film he ever made. The cast alone proves my point. I've written articles about the movie so I won't go into details at this time. Suffice to say, that movie made it ok to sing in public and in fact I actually believed people who could sing....were suppose to sing in public. The next few years resulted in some funny looks from strangers but by then I was 14 and didn't care what anybody thought.

Jump ahead 19 years.....Two months before I got married the King turned to dust.

30 years ago today the music world took a hit and Elvis decided he had had enough. It turns out that he is probably a billion times more popular today then he was when he died.

I was amazed the other day when I read that his estate is second in income for dead recording artists.

SECOND

CAN YOU GUESS WHO IS FIRST.

I can't imagine that anybody would know this answer.....except die hard fans of the actual person.

KURT COBAIN's estate received $35 million last year. The King's estate took in $27 million.

I'm not sure how to digest that information....and I'm not sure that most Elvis fans even know who Kurt Cobain is.

The only thing I do know about Kurt was that he was the front man for Sean's favorite band Nirvana....and that's good enough for me.

Michael Timothy McAlevey

No comments: