Friday, December 29, 2006

Study Group

12-7-06

LA TIMES Headline:

IRAQ POLICY ‘NO LONGER VIABLE’
PANEL ADVISES BUSH TO WAGE ‘DIPLOMATIC OFFENSIVE’


Turning to page A11 a picture dominates the lower half of the page. This picture lists all ten members of the IRAQ STUDY GROUP.

There are five Republicans and five Democrats, which is politically correct. The glaring problem I see is the age of each person in this group.

The youngest is 67 and the oldest is 79. Where’s the youth opinion? And by youth I’m referring to 38 to 59……

Are you telling me that highly respected young minds aren’t interested in helping to establish policy structure regarding this incredibly complex issue? Where are the younger college professors?

How about one under the age of 50?
How about one under the age of 60?

And why isn’t the Rand Corporation represented in this group? I thought think tanks were a necessary part of our political structure. Don’t huge amounts of money get spent to find out what the think tanks….think?

Obviously one would have to read the report to get a full picture of what they are saying but when I look at the panel I wonder…..

….. how many of these people still have their own teeth? I wonder if any one of these people uses a computer.? How many of them have personal e-mail addresses that they use on a regular basis? How many of them have gone on MY-SPACE to check it out?
How many have BLOGGED just for the fun of it? How many of these members have bought something on E-BAY?

I’m sure they all have cell phones…..but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that a few still go old school regarding their phone calls…..after all, they all have people working for them, and their people have people working for them, so messages are most likely delivered on a fairly regular basis.

I wonder how many of these panel members stay up past 9:30. I wonder if any of these people have ever played a video game. I wonder if any of these people use DVR machines on their TV’s. I wonder if any of these people owns an
I-POD. I wonder how many movies these people have gone to in the last 5 years. I wonder how many of these people have purchased running shoes in the last 10 years.




I wonder how many of these people have smoked pot in the last 25 years….or in their lifetime. I wonder how many people on this panel prefer wine or beer to hard liquor.
I wonder how many people on this panel still smoke cigarettes. I wonder how many people on this panel have tried snowboarding. I wonder how many of them still drive their own car? I wonder how many of these people fill up their own gas tanks while driving their own car. Are any of these members a vegan? Do any members personally know a vegan, except for a grandchild?

I wonder how many rap or rock songs they’ve listened to in the last 10 years.

I don’t want to get crude, but seriously…..how many organisms have been experienced by this panel collectively in the last 15 years? I don’t really care about that number but someone might…..keep in mind there are 2.2 million people living in Federal prisons….and someone should address their curiosities.

Now, I realize that while trying to understand worldly situations, both political and moral, it probably is best to have people with experience. The kind of experience is also very important and that awareness obviously leads to an older segment of our political structure…….BUT HERE’S THE RUB

THE OLDER SEGMENT OF OUR POLITICAL STRUCTURE HAS GOTTEN US INTO THIS FREAKIN MESS, AND MAYBE IT’S TIME TO CALL IN THE YOUNG CREATIVE MINDS THAT ARE REALLY MAKING THIS COUNTRY ROCK AND ROLL.

CALL IN THE 40 YEAR OLD HARVARD PROFESSOR THAT SPECIALIZES IN MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES.

CALL IN THE 47 YEAR OLD YALE PROFESSOR WHO SPECIALIZES IN MIDDLE EASTERN RELIGIOUS FACTIONS.

I’m not asking for Madonna or Brad and Jolie to join the panel….I’m just wondering how much awareness of current realities….. this panel possesses. I’m just wondering if the situation in IRAQ doesn’t need some younger politically aware minds that aren’t presently employed by the military.

I’m just wondering if alternative solutions are on any table….anywhere….anytime…or is the table just a tad bit too old to handle any more information?

Time for bed…

Michael Timothy McAlevey

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi
yer buddy

go bears !!!